If you need a new dish for your meal rotation, this is the perfect addition. Growing up, my family made these easy chicken chalupas at least once every couple of weeks because every one of us five kids loved it! Plus, the ingredients are household staples. So convenient, I know.
Chicken chalupas is technically classified as a Mexican dish, but I wouldn’t necessarily consider this recipe to be authentic Mexican. It’s really a cheap dish of delicious ingredients wrapped and baked inside a tortilla. Although it takes some time to bake, the preparation of this meal is very fast and easy. If you like to teach your kids how to cook, this is a recipe young kids can easily help with.
My mother insisted that we learn how to cook as we grew up. She claimed something about her kids needing to become ready for when they moved out and started living on their own. I’m not sure what she was trying to do. Maybe that was her parenting tactic: preparing us for our independent futures. Crazy woman.
This dish is also a great freezer meal. It is good for a make-ahead dinner and when stored properly, can be stored in the freezer for a good amount of time. When I bring food to someone in need, this is one of my go-to’s because chicken chalupas is so easy to prepare.
2 Large Chicken Breast halves
or 1 Can of Chicken Breast Meat
1 Large Can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Small can Green Chili Peppers diced
1/2 Small can Sliced Ripe Olives
2C Sour Cream
1T Dry Onions
2C Shredded Cheese
12 Flour Tortillas
1. Cook Chicken Breasts and dice, set aside
2. Combine Soup, Chili Peppers, Olives, Sour Cream and Green onions.
3. Add 1 cup of Cheese
4. Remove approximately 2 cups of this mixture
5. Spread half of separated mixture on bottom of pan
6. Add diced Chicken to other remaining mixture
7. Spread chicken mixture into Tortillas and roll up. Place in pan
8. Spread remaining half of non-chicken mixture on top of filled Tortillas
9. Sprinkle Cheese onto Tortillas and then cover with Foil
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.